MULTIPLEXING OF TUTORIALS IN DISTANCE EDUCATION USING TV BROADCAST NETWORK

Arindan Saha, Aniruddha Sinha, Arpan Pal, Anupam Basu

Abstract

The demand of distance education in rural areas of developing countries like India is increasing due to unavailability of skilled teachers in rural India and limited or lack of infrastructural support. Moreover, in developing countries, the penetration of digital TV receivers is around 10% and remaining 90% uses analog TV receiver. Hence we propose a distance education solution which not only uses the exiting satellite broadcasting Television (TV) network but also maximizes the utilization of available bandwidth. In this paper we present a novel way of multiplexing of multiple tutorials simultaneously into one broadcast channel which is retrievable by the analog TV receiver. This multiplexing leads to a technical challenge of embedding multiple audio streams in a single analog channel which is overcome by treating them as a class of metadata.

References

  1. Akamai Technologies, Q3 2010, Report on “State of the Internet”, http://www.akamai.com/stateoftheinternet/
  2. Anupam Basu, Aniruddha Sinha, Arindam Saha, Arpan Pal, Jan 2012, “Novel Approach in Distance Education using Satellite Broadcast”, 3rd International Conference on e-Education, e-Business, eManagement and e-Learning, IPEDR vol.27 (2012) IACSIT Press, Singapore
  3. Arpan Pal, C. Bhaumik, M. Prashant, A. Ghose, June 2010, “Home Infotainment Platform”, Proc. of International Conf. on Ubiquitous Computing and Multimedia Applications, (UCMA2010), Miyazaki, Japan
  4. B. B. De Franco and H. C. Oliveira, 2008: “A Communication Architecture For E-Learning And TLearning Integration”, IADIS International Conference, pp.- 334-338, ISBN 978-972-8924-68-3
  5. G. Arger. 1990: Distance education in the third world: Critical analysis on the promise and reality. Open Learning, 5(2):9-18
  6. N. G.Vasantha Kumar; Mohanchur Sarkar; Vishal Agarwal; B. P. Chaniara; S. V. Mehta; V. S. Palsule; K. S. Dasgupta, 2011: “Digital Video Broadcast Return Channel via Satellite (DVB-RCS) Hub for Satellite Based ELearning, International Journal of Multimedia & Its Applications”, pp. 133-143, vol. 3, no. 1
  7. P. Basu, A. H. Thamrin, S. Mikawa, K. Okawa, and J. Murai, 2007: Internet technologies and infrastructure for asia-wide distance education. In Proceedings of the 2007 International Symposium on Applications and the Internet (SAINT'07)
  8. Pavol Galajda; Stanislav Marchevsky; Jn Gamec; Mria Gamcova; Slavomr Pillar, 2009: “Infrastructure For Packet Based E-Learning Services Provided Via Satellite”, Acta Electrotechnica et Informatica, pp.74- 80,Vol. 9, No. 1
  9. Simon Murray, 2011, "India digital TV forecasts", Digital TV Research http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekm ps/shops/broadbandtv/india-digital-tv-forecasts-1-5- users-132-p.asp
  10. Sujal Wattamwar, Tavleen Oberoi, Anubha Jindal, Hiranmay Ghosh, Kingshuk Chakravorty, 2011: "A Novel Framework for Distance Education using Asynchronous Interaction", accepted in ACM MM MTDL
  11. Y-F. Ou, Z. Ma, and Y. Wang, January 2009: "A Novel Quality Metric for Compressed Video Considering both Frame Rate and Quantization Artifacts" in Proc. of VPQM'09, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
  12. ITU-R Rec. BT.500-11, 2002, “Methodology for the subjective assessment of the quality of television pictures”
Download


Paper Citation


in Harvard Style

Saha A., Sinha A., Pal A. and Basu A. (2012). MULTIPLEXING OF TUTORIALS IN DISTANCE EDUCATION USING TV BROADCAST NETWORK . In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computer Supported Education - Volume 1: CSEDU, ISBN 978-989-8565-06-8, pages 327-330. DOI: 10.5220/0003918003270330


in Bibtex Style

@conference{csedu12,
author={Arindan Saha and Aniruddha Sinha and Arpan Pal and Anupam Basu},
title={MULTIPLEXING OF TUTORIALS IN DISTANCE EDUCATION USING TV BROADCAST NETWORK},
booktitle={Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computer Supported Education - Volume 1: CSEDU,},
year={2012},
pages={327-330},
publisher={SciTePress},
organization={INSTICC},
doi={10.5220/0003918003270330},
isbn={978-989-8565-06-8},
}


in EndNote Style

TY - CONF
JO - Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computer Supported Education - Volume 1: CSEDU,
TI - MULTIPLEXING OF TUTORIALS IN DISTANCE EDUCATION USING TV BROADCAST NETWORK
SN - 978-989-8565-06-8
AU - Saha A.
AU - Sinha A.
AU - Pal A.
AU - Basu A.
PY - 2012
SP - 327
EP - 330
DO - 10.5220/0003918003270330